Whoosh..

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Whoosh..
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 23:53:45 +1100
I'm beat, midnight here and I've found the problem with the A. Got the motor
up on a stand and have her partially stripped down. Firstly I found a 2cm
round piece of alloy just sitting next to the oil pump (motor upside down).
I'm not sure where this has come from as I haven't removed all the pistons
yet. My bet is I have lost some material from around the gudgeon pin boss on
one of the pistons (!). Apart from that, the motor is beautifully clean
inside, shows what regular oil changes can do. The bearings are great on the
pistons I have pulled, no appreciable wear. I did find about 6, intact,
valve stem seals sitting in the sump. <G> Obviously my A doesn't think much
of them and spits them out. lol! So it was good news so far, no bearing
material anywhere, just this mysterious lump of alloy... Hmmm... I stared at
her long and hard for about 10mins trying to see where the problem might be,
turning her over and over. I am reticent to pull the mains right now, until
I get myself a slide hammer. You don't want to know how I took the B's caps
off. <G> I should do it the right way this time. :) ANYWAY.

The crank is split, like I originally guessed. And what a split it is too.
Clean in half across the first counterweight. The one closest to the front
main, front of motor. It has split from side to side where there are little
squared off indentations. Not the same place as before, as that split
between 3-4, and close to the journal.

OK so what is my next move besides a new crank, crack tested etc? What is
causing this? Is it that the block could be warped and needs line boring?

Cheers,
Neil
--
61 A / 70 BGT / 68 CGT/ 56 BN2