Gasoline smell update

To: MG CHAT LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gasoline smell update
From: "Michael Torrusio" <mtorrusi@maine.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:38:37 -0800
Thanks all for the response concerning my smelling fuel while driving my
71B.  You may recall that I smelled it at about half tank.  So far weather
has prevented major examinations, but these new observations may help.
I've checked the two lines that go from the little canister (that looks like
an old hair dryer.)  On my car they are braided metal, and while the
interior rubber(?) may be bad, both lines are solid and their attachment is
solid.  Besides which, there just doesn't appear to be any odor at that
point.
I TOTTALY filled the tank, (costs more to do that than to fill our Honda
Accord) and rodded around, curves and all that, and there is no smell at
all, leading me to believe that the gas tank hole in the top theory is not
correct.
I guess this leaves the carbon canister under the hood (bonnet) or the carb
floats sticking.
Question.  If the carb floats are sticking, is raw fuel dripping out?  And
if so, where?
One final observation.  Circumstances brought my fuel level WAY down before
I could refuel, and I noticed that the smell attenuated greatly, although
still there.  Does this help any?
--
Ciao.

Mike.