RE: shocks -- lever or tube?

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: RE: shocks -- lever or tube?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 10:40:55 -0800
I have noticed a bit better lateral control of the rear end using tube
shocks.  Side loading of the shock bushings probably helps a bit.

The major downside with rear tube shocks is exhaust clearance.  Any of the
bolt on systems can have problems hitting the lower mounting nut.
I have a real concern with the Falcon Stainless V8 system that I have for my
79B.  I will probably stick with the stock shocks on that vehicle, although
all my other Bs have been converted.

The stock shocks in good condition work well and give a safe, stable ride.
Tube conversions will vary from an improvement to a harsh riding disaster.
If converting to tube shocks, I suggest spending real money and buying an
externally adjustable shock.  That way you have a chance of tuning the
suspension.  Replacing the lever arms with tubes to save money is likely to
result in a handling nightmare.

Dynamic Spring, Mass, Damper systems are complex.  Improvements take dumb
luck, or critical modifications.

Kelvin.

http://www.TeamSanctuary.com/