Re: Floorboards

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Floorboards
From: "Tony Woodruff" <tonyw@mailmedia.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 13:28:33 -0800
A friend and I made cedar-strip canoe's a couple of years ago in my garage.
The strips are held together by Elmer's glue.

We covered the wood with epoxy resin, then a coating of "Spar" varnish was used
to keep the wood from turning grey.

Sounds like a similar application.....FWIW

Tony Woodruff
1967 MGB
1997 18.5 foot Cedar Strip Canoe (known as that "D@#$%" Canoe by my wife)

>>> "Simon Matthews" <simon_atwork@hotmail.com> 3/2/2000 12:51:16 PM >>>
I suggest that anyone installing new wooden floorboards coats the new
floorboards with a few coats of marine grade epoxy coating, once they are
cut to fit and all the holes have been drilled.

Epoxy coating provides a very good barrier to moisture and so will preserve
the wood (and the glue) within. It also gives a very hard surface for
painting. The only thing it is not good at is withstanding UV, so you do
need some paint on top of the epoxy.

Simon