Valve Cutouts - Necessary?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve Cutouts - Necessary?
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 00:10:28 +1100
Hi all,

About to get some work done on the 1600's motor to fix that broken crank
issue and make it go a little bit wilder <G>. I am fitting a high lift cam
and flat top +040 pistons which should take the capacity out to around
1629cc. The GCR will go up appreciably, but should be ok due to the valve
timing of the cam I intend fitting.

Now my question, is it necessary to put reliefs in the block when the bore
is at 3.01"? I am using an Early MGB head with the 1.56" Inlets and the
1.344" Exhausts. I know it is necessary when the bore is at stock 1600 size
(as I've tested it, my A is still on it's stock pistons) but I hear tell via
Barney's Website that with the 1600 Mk2 at 1622cc the cutouts may no longer
be necessary as the 1.56" valve will travel inside the bore without contact.
Can anyone confirm this? The motor is in too many bits now to test. Actually
it's sitting in the back of my 626 waiting to go to the machinist tomorrow
morning. :) The 626 doesn't think too much of the couple of hundred pounds
worth of brit iron sitting in it's boot. It's draggin it's butt along the
ground! lol!

Cheers,
Neil.
--