Re: clutch pin length

To: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: clutch pin length
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 15:03:36 -0000
If the Midget is like the MGB I would expect that the 'rest' position of the
slave piston would compensate for different pin lengths, within reason, as
it does for wear in the clutch plate, release bearing and linkages.  The
relative bores of the m/c and slave give the 'throw' - assuming no air in
the system.  However if the pin were way too short the m/c could well push
the slave and hence fluid out of the open end of the slave.

I am a bit confused by your comment "I have a pin that is too short forcing
my slave cyl. to be near the end of its bore just to get the clutch
engaged.", unless it is American English for "the clutch is no longer
transmitting engine rotation to the gearbox".  In British English this is
"disengaged".

Clutch engagement (BE) might be affected if the pin were too *long*
i.e. the cover-plate springs are pushing the slave piston right to the
closed end of the cylinder and still not allowing complete clutch
engagement.  If you mean the clutch isn't fully *disengaging* when you push
the pedal down this is usually caused (on an MGB) by air in the system or
excessively worn mechanical linkages at the pedal.  Clutch release arm
travel on an MGB is usually close to 1/2", have you measured yours and
compared it with other Midgets?

PaulH.