Re: Ignition light

To: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: Ignition light
From: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 21:54:01 -0700 (MST)
My car did exactly what you describe.  Light never changed and battery
never died...UNLESS...The car was being driven with the headlights on and
the stereo (non stock) on loud.  The alt was making some juice, enough to
keep the engine running with the lights or radio on but not both.  I
replaced the alternator a year or two later once it died for good, and
this solved the problem.  IMO your alternator is only 'mostly dead'  I got
nearly two years out of it after that point, but YMMV.  At that stage the
car was a toy for me (not primary car).  If you depend on the car in any
way for transportation you should replace the alternator.

James Nazarian
'71 B roadster
'71 BGT rust free and burnt orange
'74 BGT going by-by soon