RE: Alternator?

To: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Alternator?
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 07:42:00 -0500
Tyson -

If you tested things by pulling the negative cable while the car was
running, even if the alternaor wasn't the problem before, there's a
chance it is now.  A test like that is really rough on the diode pack.

Before you conclude that it is, however, take the battery in to be
tested.  Any of the ususal "chain" auto parts stores should be able to
do it.  While you're there, ask them to price a remanufactured
alternator.  I'd bet that you'll find it's less than $100 (I paid $45 at
Pep Boys).

Another thing to consider is that the battery might be fine, but really
badly discharged.  An alternator is great at keeping a reasonably
charged battery topped up, but is not very good at recharging a battery
that's severely drained.  (An alternator's output is proportional to the
power available from the battery, so if the battery is almost totally
flat, the alternator's output drops WAY down.)

If it is the alternator, and if you're mechanically inclined, and don't
mind exploring a bit, you can get the diode pack and brushes as a kit.
That, along with a bit of crocus cloth (to polish contacts) can usually
get an alternator working just fine.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net