Re: Time to decide, so what's your point?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Time to decide, so what's your point?
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 23:35:12 -0500
Steve said:

>     It is soon reaching the time that I am going to have to make a
decision
>about my MG.  It is a 1974 chrome bumpered Midget.  In may I will have
owned
>this car for two years, and over 20,000 miles.  This is the first car that
>have ever been unwilling to give up.
>     With that said, it does have a few problems.  All right, a-lot of
>problems.  Engine, has what on any other car I would consider a fatal oil
>leak.  No I cannot tell with out cleaning the engine where it is coming
>from, there is also a question of oil pressure, when warm 20 at Idle and 55
>at speed.  Also, the transmission while it does not normally grind it does
>need to be pulled towards second gear or it will grind when going into
>first. Also whines when in first....
>     The body is rough from poor bodywork done by the previous owner. Also
>bad wiring (surprise) although everything works, nothing matches the book
>(haynes).  Tack on to all of this the fact that for all I know the lever
>shocks are original, there is some vibration at speed and the front end
>should be rebuilt.

So what's your point?

Except for the oil pressure, I think you just described about half of the
spridgets on this list!

My OP is 45-50 at idle, and 70 on the highway.  Make sure you are using 20w
oil, as per the manual.  A ring sealer like the kind made by Rislone will
add a little more thickness, and thus a bit more pressure.  Tranny is
supposed to scream in 1st, since it's a straight cut gear, like reverse.
You put less wear on the transmission by shifting into first directly from
second anyway.

As for the wiring, Hayne's has some mistakes for the '74 diagram  Check the
factory manual reprint or the Bentley manual.

Also, you may want to spend some time on the Spridgets mailing list.
There's a bit more savior faire there, if you know what I mean.  Hey
Allen... that's French!

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget