Re: Oil Presure; New question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Presure; New question
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 00:20:38 +1100
I find this talk of oil pressures interesting. From memory, the MG manuals
say that pressure should be between 15/25lbs at idle at 50-60psi at 3000rpm.
Whilst I understand new bearings can give you higher pressures than a worn
engine, the pressure should still never exceed the opening point of the
pressure relief valve no? The only reasons I can assume for higher oil
pressure is a contriction of some sort in the oil galleries/flow path,
tighter clearance bearings than stock, or a modified spring/relief valve. My
MGA for instance runs about 62psi hot at 3000rpm-ish and 20lbs psi hot at
idle in 100F type weather. From what I have read, this is plenty of oil
pressure.

Cheers,
Neil
--