Re: A perspective on fuel prices...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A perspective on fuel prices...
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:39:13 EST
In a message dated 3/10/00 3:54:37 AM, HowerSL@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< I just returned from a trip to the UK and, while I'm not too wild about
the recent price increases either, $2 a gallon is a steal compared to
petrol prices on the other side of the Atlantic.  >>

I second that thought.  Actually, extend it to the vast majority of the
world's dry area outside of North America, as I've written before.  America
is full of spoiled brats who get their whine in full roar when anything bad
happens, even if it is obviously transient as this spike.  Remember, the only
reason it looks so bad is that prices got so ridiculously low last year.  The
early 70s  saw prices triple.  The current price, albeit a spike, is less
than 50% above what the average price has been  over the past five years, and
that price has been gradually declining, especially when looked at on a
constant-dollar basis.  Just take a deep breath and show a little patience;
prices will decline, and we will continue to be the land of the cheapest gas
in the developed world.

Jay Donoghue
72 MGB
72 MGB-GT
66 Mustang (10 miles to the gallon when all four barrels kick in)