Re: Ingnition woes ...

To: "Trefor Delve" <tdelve@mathworks.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ingnition woes ...
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 19:02:42 -0000
Ditto Ken's reply.  You're right in following up the ignition LT
components - that is exactly what your tach is telling you by bouncing
around.  If you notice your ignition warning light flickering as well then
you are losing the 12v off the white i.e. could be the ignition switch or
wires to and from it.

Also the ballast 'resistor' is really a length of resistive wire contained
in the loom.  It starts as a white near the fusebox or ignition relay and
ends up as a white/light-green at the coil.  You may also notice a 2nd
white/light-green at the coil, this goes to a special spade on the solenoid
that supplies a full 12v to the coil during cranking.  Don't run the coil at
a full 12v (if you were thinking of bypassing the ballast) for any length of
time or you will burn the points and overheat the coil.

Instead you might like to try this test:  Try putting a test-lamp on the
coil +ve.  You should see a steady flickering or glow at idle, and if it
gets brighter momentarily with the misfire then you are losing the
connection through the coil and points to ground, whereas if it gets dimmer
momentarily then you are losing the ballasted 12v to the coil.  If it gets
brighter then connect it to the coil -ve.  If it still gets brighter then it
is the points or the wire to them.  If it gets dimmer then it is the coil.

PaulH.