Re: SU H4 float height

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: SU H4 float height
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@khoral.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 13:05:32 -0700 (MST)
On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Paul Hunt wrote:

> With an SU you should be able to weaken the mixture right off to stalling
> point, the float level is not as important as jet/needle size.

I've got the jets all the way up, still too rich.  So I pulled the needles
out maybe 3/32" from flush with the damper piston.  Now it's still rich at
idle but runs pretty well at higher rpms once it's warmed up.

> Leaky throttle shafts would require *richer* needles to compensate, not
> weaker.

Right.  I had it backwards.

> Are you sure you have the right jets?  There are two sizes, .090 and .100.
> The smaller is used on the 4-cyl MGB, for example, and the larger on the V8.

That's what I first suspected.  I measured them.  They are .090.