Re: Head Studs

To: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>, "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Head Studs
From: "Ian & Liz" <liz.ian@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:44:07 +1200
No need to torque head (or any other stud). Just make sure that everything
is clean, and run down finger tight, perhaps with a small 'nip' on them to
help keep them in place when the head is removed again.

reason is this -

When winding in a stud it stops turning for one (or both) of two reasons.
The stud has reached the bottom of the hole, or the stud has run out of
thread (sometimes both happens)

(1)  Stud at bottom of hole. Applying torque in this situation will wind the
stud down against the bottom of the hole and load threads in the block in an
upwards direction.  When the head is in place, and the head nuts are torqued
down, the tension force in the stud is resisted by the threads in the block.
This force is in ADDITION to the force already present because the stud is
bottomed out. Result is that the threads in the block are loaded to twice
the required load .

(2) Thread bottoms out. Applying torque in this situation is only going to
wind the stud in further, damaging the thread in the block , and scoring the
unthreaded part of the stud until enough resistance is generated to match
the torque that you are attempting to apply.  This results in damaged
threads in the block, damaged studs, and again an upwards force in what
remains of the thread in the block. Tourquing down the head will transfer
the load from the section of stud previously jammed against the damaged
treads at the top of the hole, There is no actual increase in upward load on
the threads in the hole, but they are less sound, and the stud is damaged.

Ian F

 If