RE: 215 buick in a '77 mgb

To: "'Ted Stowe'" <cessna@speakeasy.org>
Subject: RE: 215 buick in a '77 mgb
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:10:37 -0800
Ted:

        The factory MGB GT V8 used an overdrive transmission and 3.07 rear
gears.  The overdrive was modified and the gearbox gears were stronger than
stock.  Even so gearbox problems were a common complaint.  The stock 4
cylinder gearbox can be used, but it will always be a weak link.  Conversion
adapters to use the box are available from the UK.

        Another thing to look at is the driveshaft.  The stock MGB
driveshaft uses small flanges and u joints.  This is another weak spot.  The
MGC used larger flanges and U joints to handle the increased torque of the 6
cylinder.  The smaller u joints will hold up for a while, but again they are
going to be a weak spot.

Kelvin.