Re: Silicon Brake Fluid

To: movlas2@gte.net, MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silicon Brake Fluid
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:41:31 EST
In a message dated 03/25/2000 5:19:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
movlas2@gte.net writes:

<< Does anyone know what color Dot 5 brake fluid is supposed to be?  The
 DPO claimed, in writing I might add, that the hydraulics had been
 changed to silicon brake fluid.  However, upon bleeding the newly
 installed rear cylinders, I've discovered a yellowish fluid that smells
 very similar to Dot 4!  I thought Silicon brake fluid was blue.  Any
 help? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

DOT 5 is usually clear.  It could be yellow depending on the brand, or any
old stuff in the system when it was installed.  There are some racing brake
fluids that are colored.  One brand comes in blue and red, so that when you
change the fluid, you just push the new fluid thru the system until the new
color starts to come out.  Most racers change fluids between races so this
makes it easy.  Most racing brake fluid is actually a very high temp version
of DOT 4.

I never smelled DOT 5 fluid, so I can't comment on the smell.  Maybe the PO
just flushed the old fluid out with DOT 5 and it is now contaminated.  When
making the change to DOT 5 it is usually recommended that you rebuild the
entire brake system and replace ALL the seals and flush the pipes.

I'd be careful with those brakes.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget