Electrical Problems

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electrical Problems
From: "John R. Boehmke" <mtbills@mcn.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 16:32:47 -0700
Two weeks ago I was driving my 77MGB around with the top down (not bad for
Montana in March), and it was running great. Stopped at my daughters
house,and when I went to leave it clicked once then nothing. I heard what I
thought was the starter motor running without engaging, so I figured bad
solenoid. As it has 92,000 miles on it I thought it would be good to
replace the starter also. I ordered one from Moss Motors,and put it in
yesterday. Turned the key, it cranked a couple of times, then nothing.
Checked the battery and it was low, so I charged it up. Today turn the key
one grind then nothing. What concerns me is that nothing works on the whole
car. I get 12 volts to the purple wire circuit, but when I turn something
on it doesn't work and the purple circuit drops to 2 volts. My lights don't
work, and, with the ignition on, the wipers and turn signals don't work.
Also, with the ignition on, I only get 2 volts to my coil. I know the DPO
had his way with the wiring, so there are some different color wires in
there, but it was running good before this all started.  Thanks in advance
for any hints on what may be my problem. I hate to have it sitting now that
the weather is really turning nice.

John
77RBB