Re: Today's MGB ?

To: Dan DiBiase <dibiase@home.com>
Subject: Re: Today's MGB ?
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 01:15:16 -0800
Dan,
   There are many things that go into the value of a car.
How much money you invested in it, how much money someone would
pay you for it, how much it would cost you to replace it, how
much you'd be willing to sell it for.  For example, my "big car"
is an '83 Rx7.  If I were to sell it, I'd only be able to get a few
hundred bucks for it (it's beat up, wouldn't pass smog etc.), on
the other hand I couldn't replace it for less than about $2,000.

Likewise, I probably have nearly $10,000 in my MGB.  I've got no
idea what I could sell it for.  It has a primo roll cage, and a
strong fresh motor and O/D tranny.  The body is mostly straight,
but would need about $2,000 of bodywork and paint to be perfect.
Yet, what would it cost me to get a nice handling, car with
perfect mechanicals?  What about the time that I've invested in it.
I've literally turned almost every bolt in that car.  I know where
it's solid, where it's dicey.  I don't have the sentimental attachment
to it that I had to my first couple of british cars, but I probably
wouldn't trade it for a nearly identical MGBGT in perfect shape.
*I* built her.  She is my car in a way that another car couldn't be
without investing many, many hours.  Any bozo can write a check
and buy a cherry car.

A rational analysis would say that for little more than what I could
sell my MG for, I could build a spec Miata, that would be faster,
better handling, more reliable and would get better gas mileage.
Why don't I?  Either you understand or you don't.

Should you sell your car and get a CBB?  How much do the rubber bumpers
bother you?  If you were to fix your car up the way you wanted it, would
it really still be the same car?  Should you get a CBB in addition?
Maybe you'd be better off with something entirely different, so that
you have two cars good at entirely different things rather than two
cars, each with basically the same strengths and weaknesses.  This is
why rather than buying a Miata, I should get a Van (that I can tow with)
or maybe one of those PT Cruisers when they come out (or when I get out
of debt).

I'd guess that my car got a little more attention, but that has a lot
to do with the fact that there were about 80-100 miatas there and one
MG.

   Larry

--
I regret the mistakes I've made less than the opportunities lost from
risks not taken.