Re: vent windows 77B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: vent windows 77B
From: Steve Bettencourt <steveb5815@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:44:40 -0500
Andy,
A couple of 4" C clamps will help compress the seal to line up the bolt
holes. With the doors open, look at the top inside of the fender where
the windshield post protrudes. There should be a sheet metal cover
pop-riveted to hide the post, but it only covers the back. A clamp
inserted into the opening to pull the post to the shield will help to
line up the bolt holes. On my '79 the hole threads are 3/8-16 so I
replaced the original bolts with 9/16 head to header bolts from a small
block Chevy engine. The threaded portion is the same but the head is a
7/16 hex which provided enough clearance to easily insert and tighten the
bolts. I saw a web site after I first posted this method of installation
a couple of years ago but they put the clamps on the outside of the
windshield frame which I don't recommend because of the possibility of
damaging the anodized surface. Now that I have a digital camera I am
going to photograph my version of the procedure and post it on my web
site. (When I get a chance.) If you need or want more info, contact me
off the list.
Steve Bettencourt
http://www.bmcne.com
webmaster@bmcne.com