Exhaust Manifold bold extraction

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Exhaust Manifold bold extraction
From: "Berrie C. Watson" <bwatson@bayflash.stpt.usf.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:09:04 -0500 (EST)
Greetings,

The last time it happened to me (on a Nissan truck), I used a Dremel
rotary tool to make a small hole in the center of the head bolt so that
the extractor had something to hold on to, and I didn't use a drill,
instead I used a socket to control and put pressure on the easyout as I
screwed it in.  I have never had an easy out break.

The difficulty with this method is that you have to make sure you get that
dremel perfectly straight before you drill the hole, or you will go into
the cyl head - of course it is easier if you take the head off.

On another topic, I am thinking about selling my 71 MGBGT, since the
chrome bumper models are hard to put a Rover V8 in....  and I am not sure
what to ask for it.  The cyl head has been replaced and has had a valve
job, and it has moderate rust in the usual places, etc etc.  Is 2K to
little, or should I base the price on what I paid for it ($2500) plus half
add-on costs (another thousand).

Being on this list for 3 years, I figured this would be the place to ask,
since MG'rs are generally more forthcoming about the true worth of other
MG's (not their own).  There are no blue books for these that I know of.
Is there any generally accepted indicator of value?

Thanks

                                Berrie C. Watson
                                Assistant in Campus Computing
                                USF St. Petersburg Campus