Re: Sports Coil and Pertronix

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sports Coil and Pertronix
From: Steve Bettencourt <steveb5815@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 07:50:11 -0500
To Eric & The List,
I have been waiting to post the results from my recent Pertronix
adventure until everything was installed and running but I will jump in
here.

1. (for Eric) The Pertronix will operate a coil with 1.5 ohms resistance
on a 6 or 8 cylinder engine only! The coil must have at least 3 ohms
resistance on a 4 cylinder engine! So, if need be, you must install a
ballast resistor.

2. Reid, who is the contact at Pertronix, was very responsive to my
problem. I received a replacement unit in about 2 weeks from when I sent
back the suspect unit. They even sent a test report for the unit I sent
in.

3. They honor their 30 month warranty so I would recommend the product to
anyone interested in making the switch from points or the original
electronic ignition.

4. They have a website at http://www.petronix.com

5. I have not reinstalled the unit yet so I don't really know I the
original problem has been fixed.

For the record, on March 5th I went to start my '79 B to run it for a
while and charge the battery. It started immediately (as usual) but soon
died out and would never re-start. I put in the points dizzy and the car
ran ok. I have an MSD 5 on the car so I believe that the multiple sparks
shot around inside the damp dizzy cap (it was all wet with condensation)
and skacked the Pertronix. I can't explain the failure any other way, but
I will be sure that it won't happen again.

Steve Bettencourt
http://www.bmcne.com
webmaster@bmcne.com