Re: Intake leaks

To: <ahhclem@kcnet.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Intake leaks
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 19:39:45 +0100
The tail pipe will always be sooty with unleaded, it is the lead in leaded
that shows grey for a correct mixture.  Stalling as a carb piston is lifted
is a symptom of weak mixture - only lift each by 1/32", by the way.  You
should always be able to 'tune out' leaking throttle spindles at idle
(unless you can drive a coach and horses through the gap), but will have
other symptoms like a hesitant pickup with small throttle increases.
Setting up SUs is time consuming to do correctly, but rewarding when done.
You might like to have a look at my own info on the site below, select
'Spanners' and 'SU Carbs', but ignition, timing and valves need to be done
first.

PaulH.
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk