radio sings the blues

To: <hearts@radiks.net>
Subject: radio sings the blues
From: "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 09:59:59 -0700

Was driving the '74B sunday when all of a sudden a fairly loud whine
came out of the radio.  At the same time the "fasten seat belt" light
started to glow.  sounded like it was trying to buzz too.  I notice the
noises got louder with higher engine revs. sounds to me like some kind
of voltage transfer.  before I pull the radio, I thought I would check
out the advise of the list.  I have only owned this one for 4 months but
never heard this noise.  All other electrics seem fine.  Any advise is
appreciated!

Sounds like one of the ignition components has decided to go partially
defective, or there is a loose connection. Possible places to look:
loose coil primary (small wires)
loose coil secondary
partially open coil
cracked distributor cap
bad or loose spark plug wire
bad condenser

I would do a complete tune up and include new RF suppression plug wires,
distributor cap, points, plugs, and check all your ignition component
connections. Only as a last resort would I change the coil.

Kind regards,
Tim.
'69 BGT mona