Re: Jerk & bang followed by power and oil pressure loss...

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <Lundgren@iname.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Jerk & bang followed by power and oil pressure loss...
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:08:05 -0700
You probably should have switched off immediately, but the major damage
had already been done. Main or rod bearing failure would cause the
symptoms you mention -- an actual broken rod would have been even more
catastrophic (probably not continued running -- I must admit I've never
seen one). You want to switch off mainly to prevent metal fragments from
circulating through the oil passages, in case you decide to just replace
the bearings with the engine in the car (this may or may not be a good
idea). On teardown, my original engine had 3-inch corkscrew strips of the
#4 main bearing in the sump among other shrapnel, after a similar
experience (I had tried to nurse the poor thing a half-mile to a better
stopping place).

I chose not to attempt a DIY rebuild because the main cap was cracked
through, necessitating align boring. I think your spare engine is going
to come in handy. If you feel up to the task, it can keep your MG
motoring while you rebuild this one. Good luck.

Andrew B. Lundgren had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149