Fw: Re:Aluminum Bonnet-security

To: "mg's" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Re:Aluminum Bonnet-security
From: "Scotty" <scotty@dove.net.au>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:44:55 +0930
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scotty" <scotty@dove.net.au>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, 3 April 2000 16:13
Subject: Re:Aluminum Bonnet-security

Listers I don't know if this got through to the list before? If it did and
I'm sending it again, write it off to a 'feeble minded, card carrying, old
fart'

 On Saturday, 1 April 2000 Max wrote

 I need a new bonnet at this time, but if I decide to splurge on the
 aluminum one I will be damn sure to reinforce the safety catch before I
 take it on the road. I will also make sure I have those rubber snubbers
 in position as one lister suggested a while back.

 Max and Listers,
                              at the time when I was peddling my MGC
roadster
 around race tracks, it was a safety requirement to have a 'bonnet,' 'engine
 hood' security/restraint device fitted to a car when racing. The simplest
 effective way to comply with this ruling was as follows.
 From a boating shop purchase about a two meter [couple of yards] length of
soft/flexable rigging line about 5ml thick or there abouts. [I use the
 braided line. YMMV] Open the hood and look for the two round holes in the
 front underside two inches or so in front of the spring and spigot, thread
 the line through one hole and pull it through the other hole then tie it
up.
 'A bowline knot works for me here'. The other end is threaded through the
 front of the square hole where the hood catch thingie [technical term] is
 mounted, loop the end of your line under the cross member, forward through
 between the grill and the front of the cross member, pull it up in front
 again and tie two or three half hitches, then trim off any excess line.
When
 you close the hood, pull the 'loop' of line forward of the radiator mesh,
 keep it clear of the fans/fan. I dye my line black for camauflage as the
car
 is black.
 Carry a length of line in the car just in case you  need to prop the hood
 open on a windy day and need a longer line to do so, [ owners of smooth,
 good looking rubber bumper cars, ignore that last bit, we have a hood stay
 to fix this, right?]
 When I was racing, I used a real short line, just long enough so I had
 enough room to tie it, the hood only came up a few inches tied like that.
My
 daily driver 'B' has this safety feature added and I just toodle around
town
 in it for the most part, but it's good for my peace of mind.
 This 'fix' beats being 'brained' by a runaway hood, IMHO.
 All this is my experience only, if you use the wrong line, knots or
whatever
 and get belted on the head by a runaway hood, it's your own risk. But it
 worked for me once, when I needed it, for which I'm very happy. Also it is
removable any time and no modifications are needed to the car to fit it.

 L8R

 Scotty,
 Adelaide, Australia.
 Been driving MG's since 1962, and still enjoying them 8^)