TD Camshaft

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: TD Camshaft
From: James Porco <jporco@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 23:07:33 -0400 (EDT)
Hello all:

I seem to be having a problem with my clutch hydraulics.  I have rebuilt the
master cylinder (Moss kit), purchased new lines, and a new clutch slave
cylinder (again Moss).  I bleed everything fine, and I never get good solid
pressure.  After about ten pumps on the clutch (after it has been bleed about
15 times) I loose all pressure at the clutch slave cylinder.  What happens is
that the metal piston in the slave cylinder seems to go beyond the housing and
the rubber gasket/cup pushing the metal piston out gets cock-eyed in the
housing.  In fact, the last three times (I have done this about 5 times
already), part of the rubber gasket is protruding out of the metal housing with
the metal piston cock-eyed in the housing.  All the fluid drips out via the
rubber gasket.  This is all at the clutch slave; the master slave cylinder is
fine.

I have already rebuilt the hydraulics at least five times and it is always
blowing out at the clutch slave.  I did buy a new push rod that attaches to the
transmission, since the piston keeps pushing beyond the housing I wonder if the
problem is the pin (but I assume this is stock since I purchased it via Moss)?
Or, if I have major transmission problems?  I do have about 2 inches of
freeplay at the transmission.  That is, I can move the connector rod at the
transmission all the way back and forth without feeling any movement in gears
(this is the part that push rod connects to the transmission, not freeplay at
the clutch pedal).  I do not know if this is normal (transmission freeplay) or
not since the gears are in neutral (I get the same freeplay if it is in gear or
in neutral).

I think I have covered all the bases, ANY help would be appreciated.  BTW: this
is on a 1971 MGB-GT, all original parts (trany and engine).

Many Many Thanks,

Jim Porco