Re:Aluminum Bonnet

To: "mg's" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Aluminum Bonnet
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 22:24:42 +0000
As we had been discussing backup methods of preventing aluminimum
bonnets from wrapping themselves over the windscreen unexpectantly, I
related my old story of parking into the wind with my bonnet up and
having it do this fly-away trick even while stationary.

While looking at ways to prevent this happening again I noted that the
little sheet-metal 'holder' for the bonnet 'stick' in my '68 'B (that
slotted bit of metal where you place the stand when the bonnet is up)
was bent out on an angle.  This allowed the bent end (hook) of the stand
to simply slip out if upward pressure was applied to the bonnet.

Simply bending this bit of metal back to a vertical position actually
prevented the bonnet flying back while the stand was in place - as it
was meant to do.

Now I don't know if the strength of the wind gust bent this metal to the
point where it released the bonnet stand - but I am going to see how I
can strengthen this sub-strength little item to stop the "parked bonnet
fly-back" ever again.

Ha!  And I thought it might have been a design deficiency rather than
actual damage....  finally I might have some piece of mind.

Eric
'68MGB MkII