Missing: horn on 73 B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Missing: horn on 73 B
From: Karl Shultz <karl.shultz@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:58:21 -0400
Hi all,  been lurking for a *long* time now while the B, sadly, stayed
parked with a ton of ignition problems.  Finally those are sorted out
and the car is running great.  Sunny day - oh, so *that's* why I bought
it!  Anyhow, I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot my horn - the
last thing that needs fixed before it'll pass inspection.  Here's the
story.

When I bought the car only one of the two horns worked (low note I
believe) which didn't bother me.  About a year ago I'm driving around
with the top down and we get one of those mid-afternoon North Carolina
thunderstorms.  It starts to really pour so I pull into the gas station,
turn off the car and put the top up.  Start the car to leave, and both
horns (low note and high note) are blaring non-stop, without me touching
the button.  So that was kind of painful driving around like that.  Get
back to house, turn off car and go inside.

The next day - start car, horn isn't blowing.  This is good.  So I hit
the horn button, and both horns (lo and hi) come on.  Sweet!, I'm
thinking, it's fixed.  Well, not so fast.  One day later, start the car
to go to work, hit horn button...and there's nobody home at all, neither
horn does anything.  Doh!

I've done the requisite checks with the test light at the pencil switch
on the steering wheel and at the horns - nothing.  Any ideas?  Is there
a fuse buried somewhere that I haven't seen yet?  Any info would be
highly appreciated - the car's been parked for almost a year now and I'd
really like it to be legal.

--
Karl Shultz
  Tarheel Sports Car Club - www.thscc.com