Re: (Long - No LBC) Visiting Nfld on Canada's East Coast

To: amproud@nf.sympatico.ca (Andrew Proudfoot)
Subject: Re: (Long - No LBC) Visiting Nfld on Canada's East Coast
From: bburrows@webtv.net (Bruce Burrows)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:22:48 -0400 (EDT)
--WebTV-Mail-2770-164

Newfoundland is one of my favorite places in the whole world.  It is way
neater than NS (JMHO!).  From Cape Spear to Gander to St.Anthony I have
been there and it was great.

My most memorable experience, though, was not actually on Nfld soil.  I
was on the Nfld ferry bound out of North Sydney (NS) on a cold May night
when a storm came up.  The ocean became quite rough and the Canadian
Navy had to send out an escort.  There was real concern the ferry was
going down.  I was too detached from reality at the time to realize how
much danger I was in.  I was also too seasick.  But it is one of those
things in life that, if you live through it, you look back wistfully.

I have never visited Newfoundland in summer.  When I ventured out to
Cape Spear I was alone there, and I can tell you the waves were
crashing, pounding the shore  It is a majestic setting.   At the St.
Anthony harbor (different  trip) it was the icebergs I enjoyed most.
Not sure they are still around in August.  Just don't know.

Regardless, for anyone who has never visited, I think the run up to
Newfoundland would be very rewarding and great fun.  At the very least
you will return knowing how to _pronounce_ "Newfoundland" <g>.

But I'm not certain I would want to make the trip in summer.

Bruce Burrows

'59 MGA basket case
'60 Daimler SP 250
'61 Daimler SP 250