Re: Very hot running 78B?

To: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Very hot running 78B?
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 09:16:18 -0700
Any thermostat that I've had (though not on a B) that malfunctioned always
kept me from getting any temp at all, never one that was super high.  Very
high temps for me have always been coolant related somehow.

No, I didn't change the profile of the car, though a car that could go to
the edge of the red just from having a new license plate would worry me.. :)

I got the vehicle last year and have never flushed it, and I don't know the
history of the radiator.  I can't easily take its temp.

Running the heater did not drop it (although getting heat out of that car
is another story anyway).

It was like that at 4500-ish rpm, about 80 mph.  Dropping the speed would
cause it to drop the temp, though still high, just not on the edge of
red.  It just worries me that if it's nearly red that (1) the risk of
damage and (2) what will it do when the outside temp hits 90/100 degrees?

I'm thinking of probably having to flush the radiator.

To flush the heater core, which I've meant to do anyway, should I just
disconnect the two hoses and shove a garden hose in there, or do I really
need to remove it and disassemble it?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

- Tab