Re: 77B engine rebuild

To: "simon hurley" <simonsensis@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 77B engine rebuild
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 15:50:11 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: simon hurley <simonsensis@hotmail.com>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2000 1:54 PM
Subject: 77B engine rebuild

Hi, Simon.

> Help.  Just removed the engine from my 77 B that has not been run for 8
> years.  The crank does turn.  I have no experience with dismantling and
> rebuilding engines - the goal is to do the minimum to get it into working
> order.
>
> What would you check out to determine whether I need to start removing
> cranks, pistons etc?
>
> What is a "must remove" and check out?

Any engine which has been dead so long needs careful handling. However, if
you are looking at minimal work, try these...

Turn the engine by hand and listen. If the pistons are making distinct
scraping noises up and down the bores, there is significant rust and you'll
need at least a hone and rings.

If this is the case, remove the sump and look past the crank at the bores,
as well as at the camshaft. Also, pull off a main cap and a big end and
check the condition of the crank and shells. Scoring that will catch your
fingernail = regrind.

If the innards are clean and bright, replace the sump, add oil and a filter
and replace the starter. Then, you can crank the engine over (plugs out) to
check for compression and oil flow (at the rockers) and pressure (using the
gauge).

If the engine has these good signs, you can probably start it without
damaging anything. You will already have some information as to its
condition but its behaviour when hot will tell you whether the valves and
guides need work, whether it cools itself and if it's burning oil through
bore wear.

> The same question goes for the gearbox as well which I will remove when it
> stops raining.

Here, the condition of the oil will tell you a lot. If it's reasonably
clean, check if there are any odd noises and/or poor gear selection when
turning by hand (you'll need help). Check also the input shaft for sideplay
(small amount acceptable) and oil leakage, the tail bearing/seal for
roughness and leaks.
Assuming it has O/D, remember to clean the filter(s) and check the operation
of the solenoid.

> Thank in anticipation of your sage advice.

You got it

David Hill

Can I Telework for you? See what I do, at...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz4/davtel/index.html
Troubled by a phobia? Know someone who has one? Go to...
http://www.angelfire.com/de/ukphobias/index.html>