Alternator fan removal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternator fan removal
From: "M. Edwin Vaughan" <edvaughan@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 10:27:18 -0500
To whomever wrote the message about not being able to remove their
alternator fan (I deleted the e-mail by accident!),

I had the same problem with my alternator fan. I figured out that the
wrong pulley had been put on my alternator. The distance between said
pulley and fan was incorrect (the pulley would foul the fan) so the inept
mechanic pressed/beat a spacer onto the shaft between the pulley and the
fan. This spacer would not come off, ergo the fan would come off. I ended
up ordering an new fan and pulley from Ed Kaler @ JustBrits. BTW, does
your pulley have the little notch in it so it can slip over the key? My
pulley didn't have this notch and the key was missing on my old
alternator, too.

Sometimes I am tempted to call up the guy I bought my car from and tell
him how awful his mechanic is and if he cherishes his cars he won't take
them there. BTW, it is Campbell's Foreign Car Service in Montgomery, AL
(on Air Base Blvd) in case anyone is ever in Montgomery. :^)

Edwin
'77 B

"I'm tryin' to think but nuthin' happens."
-- Curly Howard (the stooge)

The MG Filling Station
http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/seatbelt/572