Re: 79 B HP rating?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 79 B HP rating?
From: "mrayborn" <mrayborn@merlin.ebicom.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 13:47:29 -0500
I can attest to the ACTUAL difference in horsepower ratings. I have a '76B,
Zenith carb,  with all smog stuff intact and operable. It is quick around
the corners, but acceleration didn't seem to be as fast as I remembered in
my daughter's '80B.

I got the opportunity to drive her B Sunday afternoon. It has a Weber
downdraft on it, and has NO smog stuff.

BOY HIDEY!! That thing will FLY!! There is a REMARKABLE difference. Much
quicker off the line, and noticeably more acceleration in 3rd and 4th.

Another difference is the sound. My 76 is very quiet. It has a stock exhaust
system. Her 80 also has an ordinary exhaust system, but it has a much more
THROATY sound. Her muffler has a hole in it, but it sounds perfect to me. I
love to hear it when I'm cruising in 4th and then punch it!! When I finish
restoring my 72B, I think I'll go with a standard exhaust, and drill holes
in the muffler until I like the sound. Is this what people call "TUNING THE
EXHAUST"?

Regards,
Mark in MS