alternator conversion Qs

To: "MGB List (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: alternator conversion Qs
From: "Christopher W. Reichle" <CREICHLE@bdpb.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:02:18 -0400
I have a 1980 MGB with the 43 amp lucas unit. Last night my ignition light
came on. Off at idle, brighter as rpm increases. I think this might be the
regulator or diode. Aside from this fact, I would like to get more amps and
a little bit better performance at idle. I have high watt lights, high power
radio and I just added a/c.

I was scanning through the archives and picked up a lot of discussion about
the 55 amp bosch unit from a 80 Ford Fiesta which looks to be a bolt on
replacement. Someone did mention a problem with fitting the pully from the
lucas onto the bosch. Will the pully and fan from a 1980 B lucas unit fit on
the bosch? Is the bosch unit fatter? I do not have much clearance left with
the compressor in there. I also saw some mention of a 90 AMP unit from a VW
16v. Anybody know what year it is and how much fatter than the 55 amp unit
it is? Has anyone found a source for either unit that comes with the fan and
pully?

I'm showing a part# of 13107 for the 55 amp bosch unit. If I pick this up at
discount auto parts or napa by part # as opposed to referencing the Ford
Fiesta it will probably not have the fan and pully. Any idea where to get
it?

There is also an uprated lucas unit available, 65 amp Rover part #GNU2115.
Any one have anby experience with this one. How about the A127 Lucas at 55
amps?

Any info would be much appreciated...

Chris Reichle