Re: Cork Oil Sump Gasket

To: spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo
Subject: Re: Cork Oil Sump Gasket
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 09:52:35 -0400
Enriqui,
  I used the standard gasket, and it wasn't the gasket that leaks. It's
the seals at the crankshaft that are most troublesome.
  If the gasket leaks, there is a 99 per cent probability that the DPO
tightened it too much.
When the pan is off, put a straight-edge along the top of the pan. If the
area surrounding the bolt holes is lifted, the bolts have been cranked so
hard that they bent the pan.  Repair is easy, though.
  Hold a piece of iron or whatever you have on the underside of the lip
(gasket part) of the pan (hold this on the outside).  Tap the raised area
around the hole on the upper side (the sealing/gasket surface)  with a
ball pein (the rounded end mechanic hammer) until the hole is flat again.
 That should cure the leaks there.
  Thanks to lister Frank Krajewski for teaching me that simple trick.
Bob