Re: Long trip for nothing

To: "Bruce Burrows" <bburrows@webtv.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Long trip for nothing
From: "David Deutsch" <drded@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:25:34 -0400
There were pictures sent (photographed quite well) and description was
glowing.  I honestly believe that there was no attempt to deceive in this
case and would not be surprised at all if the fellow calls and accepts the
offer of $12,000. He had spent BIG money on this car and frankly was taken.
The work was just shoty. The only thing that really bugged me was the claim
of excellent oil pressure. I look at alot of cars and have purchased over 25
cars in the past several years. I prefer the "project" buys over the
"restored". There are alot more cars done poorly than correctly out there
and in most cases it's not due to penny pinching or bargan hunting
customers. There are just alot of people doing restoration work that have no
business doing so.

As far as my buying experiences go .......there was just one time when I got
REALLY angry due to total misrepresentation of the car. It was a 76 Fiat 124
that was on E-bay. I was not the winning bid, in fact, the bidding had gone
to $2,500.00, which was $1,500 over my last bid. I got an e-mail about two
weeks later asking if I was still interested. Long story short.........what
was told to be "an excellent  daily driver needing little to be a show
stopper" was a basket case. The leaf springs were thru the floor boards. I
had arrived w/ cash and a flatbed and was sicken by what I found. I blasted
the seller and told him I'd drop it at the nearest wrecking yard but it
would cost him $50 for me to do so. If the pictures he had posted were of
that car they were very old pictures.

Anyway, thanks for responding, sometimes I think that I'm typing to myself,
nice to know that some people are really reading this stuff.

BTW: I just bought a 79 Fiat Spider 2000 last week for $1,500. It's a nice
daily driver needing not all that much to be a show stopper. I plan on using
it in it's daily driver state.