RE: once is accident, twice is happenstance, and three times, Mr

To: "'Bob Howard'" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: RE: once is accident, twice is happenstance, and three times, Mr
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 19:54:32 -0700
thanks everyone who replied to my post about mysterious hot-weather engine
flooding

I got a number of replies to this post (some may have been off list). With a
number of suggestions including: vented gas cap; cleaning the outside of the
carb especially around the bits and pieces of the throttle and automatic
choke; pulling the vent hose of the carbon adsorber; and cleaning the vent
hose out.

What all these suggestions had in common was the idea that the carb was
being flooded by fuel condensed in the carbon adsorber. I'm not sure if
cleaning the outside of the carb quite follows the same logic, but sure
enough it is pretty grimy in there and so i'm going to set to it and see if
that solves the sticky choke problem.

Anyhow, I figured that i would set about trying the vent line suggestion
(bob's) first cos it was the one that involved the least non-standard
alteration (though the most work). Interestingly, the whole system in the
boot had clearly been replaced recently (the hose, the line and the little
tank), perhaps in an attempt to solve the problem. I then checked out the
connections to the carbon adsorber, and lo and behold, there was the problem
(or at least part of it), the 8" or so of hose from the adsorber to the line
itself must have been 20 years old. It was half rotted through and kinked
back on itself. There's no way in hell anything was getting back to the tank
through that! So i'm off down to the store for a replacement. I'll take the
opportunity to blow the line through as suggested by Bob, but i'm feeling
very butch right now...   ;-)

Thanks Bob! you are very very cunning.

cheers

Joe