Re: VIBRATION ?????

To: alaskabob2@freewwweb.com
Subject: Re: VIBRATION ?????
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:30:28 -0400
  Is this really vibration, as in things shaking, or the sound of
drumming?
  If it's the sound that is deafening, pounding, resonating, etc, it's
the dreaded GT resonance at work.  It starts at about 2700 rpm and builds
to about 3200 rpm, then goes away.
  Things that help:  1)replace the asphalt sound proofing that MG
installed on the floors, 2) install addtional carpet padding under
carpets (under seat also) and on trans tunnel, and behind the seat, and
under the +2 seat and under the spare tire and under the carpet on the
rear deck 3) replace the underdash panels - the crumbly cardboard things
that are probably missing are replaced by much better plastic units 4)
carefully inspect for any holes and missing grommets in firewall 5)
ensure that entire exhaust system is not touching the underside of the
car at any engine speed or load, 6) install a foam rubber chunk in the B
pillar area - see Moss catalogue, 7)open one rear window.
  These all help. None solves the problem completely.
Bob