Re: TD Clutch Cable VS Clutch Levers

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: TD Clutch Cable VS Clutch Levers
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 16:16:32 -0400
Bob,
  I went through the work of filling and milling all the holes to fit the
new clevis pins that I got from Moss. They were hardened pins, by the
way, much harder metal than the originals.  There was still some slack
until I dropped the sump and swapped the fulcrum pins there, after which
the linkage has been pretty tight.
  Which is better? Good question. MG switched to the rods for reasons we
are unlikely to discover. Maybe a bent rod was less expensive to produce
than a cable.
  There is a shop here in CT whose proprietor thinks the cable better and
who installs cables in rod&lever cars that come to him for this problem.
He believes that there are fewer points for wear to loosen the linkage. I
don't see what wear points are eliminated.
  In your case, since the cable appears to have been OEM, I'd go with the
cable. You have the bracket to confirm its installation.  My car, TDC
21934 was, according to Chip Old's listings in Points of Originality and
theService Parts List, fitted with the cable (change point being car
#22251).  Chip mentioned, and the Service Parts list also mentions, part
#500596, stop-clutch pedal, but no illustration # is given.  I don't know
what it looks like nor where it would be located in the linkage. Maybe
it's not there. Can you describe it?
Bob

, should have the cable. It came new from the dealer with the rods&pivot
though