transmission lockup

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: transmission lockup
From: "Andrew D. Zimmerman" <a.d.zimmerman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 12:51:52 -0400
--------------C49C23F2206F9314F4E2056B

All,

I am in the final stages of a restoration of a 72 'B.  Engine and body
completely overhauled and upgraded.  Only minor work on the tranny
though--new o-rings, etc. in o.d. solenoid (and as far as I know,
everything went back in the proper position and order).  Put
engine/trans. back in car and reinstalled everything, to get ready to
try the big crank-up.  My last posting described a problem getting the
shifter to move into gears.  That problem was resolved by removing a
rather annoying, longish switch for the seatbelt warning system, which
was apparently blocking movement of the "remote control" shaft (kinda
like removing an appendix--it's there causing all sorts of Hell, does
little if anything productive).  Now that the unit shifts beautifully
into all gears, I thought I was now ready to check final settings,
intall battery fill engine fluids, and crank her up.  Wrong.  Upon
putting tranny in 4th gear to "rock" valves open and closed to adjust
clearances, I discovered the tranny was locked up.  Same in 3rd; also
same in 1st and 2nd.  I suspect the o.d. unit somehow got engaged during
work on piston/o-rings, or other movement of tranny outside of the car.

The Bentley manual mentions the possibility of a sticking o.d. clutch.
Could this lock up motion in all four gears, not just 3d and 4th?  They
recommend vigorous blows with a rubber mallet to the brake-ring.  I'm
about to try this.  If this doesn't work, does anyone have any other
knowledgeable suggestions?  If I hook up a battery, will proper
placement of the o.d.  (i.e., wiper/washer) switch cause the unit to
disengage?  What else should I try?

Thanks for your help!   Andrew Zimmerman

--------------C49C23F2206F9314F4E2056B
 name="a.d.zimmerman.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Zimmerman;Andrew D.
tel;home:(302) 737-7747
tel;work:(302) 888-5293
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;10 Woodshaw Road;Newark;DE;19711-7421;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:a.d.zimmerman@worldnet.att.net
note;quoted-printable:"Freedom is not static but dynamic=3B not a vested
interest, but a prize continually to be won."  (Jacques Ellul, The
Technological Society)
fn:Andrew D. Zimmerman, Ph.D
end:vcard

--------------C49C23F2206F9314F4E2056B--