Rebuilding the bottom half of an engine...

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuilding the bottom half of an engine...
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <Lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 16:31:15 -0600 (MDT)
I have an 18V engine that the PO tells me was rebuilt 20k ago.  I drove the car
the engine came from for about a month.

The oil pressure is great. 70 lbs always, doesn't matter if it is hot, cold,
idleing or running loaded.  I have the engine out now as I am going to be
installing it in my roadster.

I want to save myself some pain later by rebuilding anything that "ought" to be
done while it is out.  I am going to be doing the seals along with a new AL
head.  (The head was on my roadster for < 500 miles when the bottom end of my
18G went.)

I am thinking of installing a new mild road cam along with lifters, as well as
timing chain, gears, and tensioner.

I am going to check out the oil pump, though I don't expect anything there as
the pressure is good.

I have never inspected main bearings or cam bearings however.  What should I
look for?  What else should I be looking at while I have it out.

Thanks!

--
Andrew Lundgren