valve openings

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: valve openings
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 13:12:27 EDT
Blake: If you are using a head off of an 18V motor on an early block, and
especially if it has been surfaced a couple of times you may be having a
problem with the exhaust valves fouling on the block. Furthermore, you have
more lift on the valves now, adding to the problem. The later blocks had an
exhaust-valve sized .040 relief cut in them for this reason. Also you should
be using the short lifter-long pushrod combo from the later cars, this is
much lighter than the early arrangement. Also, be aware that the late rocker
shaft is Not the same, it has offset lube holes so make sure your lube holes
on the block and pedestal match up.
I've heard of cases with a radical enough set up that folks used the short
lifters and the short pushrods plus lengthened adjusters to get their rocker
openings right. Still the likely suspect here is that you are fouling the
block with the exhaust valves.

(question was...)