Re: Alternator

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alternator
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 14:07:44 -0700
Geoff,

Replacing MG alternators is a frequent topic on the list.  I personally have
no problem with the Lucas alternator.  I replaced mine with a rebuilt Lucas
alternator once in 28 years, so that's seems at least as good as any Chevy
or Ford that I've had that was over 10 years old.  I think that many people
believe that the stock alternator doesn't put out enough amps for extra
lights and such.  I put a set of halogens in my B in 1973 or 74 and it
hasn't affected my alternator a bit.  I suspect that when compared to the
amp load required by modern automobiles, the MG alternator probably wouldn't
do the job, but then it doesn't have to run all of the accessories of a
modern car.  In other words, I think it's a good idea to put a Lucas back
on.  He may have to find the original wiring diagram as many replacement
alternators have a different number of wires to connect.

Best of luck to your dad.

Dave 72B