Re: #%$@&* SAE Bolts Forced into a TD Block

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: #%$@&* SAE Bolts Forced into a TD Block
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@home.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 08:21:29 -0700
I don't know much about Whitworth fasteners, but the SAE's can't be too
far off from the originals, or they wouldn't have gone in at all. You
may get by with running the proper tap in the hole to clean up the
threads and installing an original bolt.

The following might be regarded as heresey, and there should be a better
alternative:

You could drill out the holes and install thread inserts like Helicoil.
That would at least give you clean holes. I've never seen these in
anything but SAE and metric though. Since the SAE seems to be so close,
you could use the equivalent size instead of the Whitworth bolts.