timing info wanted

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: timing info wanted
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 19:13:12 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,
   Could someone fill me in with info re setting stroboscopic timing?
The car is a 76B, engine 18V802AE with dual HIF's.

According to Bentley for a 76B with a Stromberg-Zenith, ignition timing
should be set to 10 degrees BTDC at 1500 rpm. Since timing refers to
action in an engine, should it matter which carb setup?

At 15 degrees BTDC, my car has no pickup unless the choke is all the out
and without the choke engaged, it backfires in the muffler
until I hit about 3000 rpm and then it rides fairly well. At 10 degrees
BTDC, it backfires even more.

At 25 or so BTDC, it backfires little and seems to have more pickup?

For anyone who has made this conversion, what timing settings do you use?

Bill