Re: rubber bumper

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rubber bumper
From: "Michael Blair" <mblair@nfis.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 11:02:35 -0500
Allow me to pass along something I read elsewhere and will try myself when
time permits.

Bob Fischer, Illinois, USA

  What I've done, and it works very well, is this:
  Your Polyurethane Plastic - not "rubber" - bumpers are faded because the
top layer has been damaged by UV rays, along
  with general age and exposure to the elements. What you have to do is
remove this thin top layer.
  Start with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, and wet sand with water and a
couple of squirts of dishwashing liquid. Sand until all
  the big scratches and discoloration are gone. Now go to 1500 grit wet/dry
and do it again. If you go all the way to 2000
  grit, they'll really shine. Don't upgrade until you are satisfied that all
scratches have been removed.
  Granted, this WILL take the better part of a Saturday to do, but the
results are great, and guaranteed.
  For a final touch, you can buff with 3M plastic polish, and one of those
foam buffers you connect to your drill motor (Put
  cardboard pieces between the bumper and the valance to protect the body
paint. If you do this, they will shine like a
  mirror, and will be very black! The good point about this method is that
it is easy to touch-up from time to time, and I
  believe (IMHO) that the results are much closer to the original look.
  Tools required:
  600 grit paper
  1500 grit paper
  2000 grit paper