Re: fuel pump misbehaviour

To: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>,
Subject: Re: fuel pump misbehaviour
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 19:15:00 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Garner, Joseph P. <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
To: MG list (E-mail) <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2000 8:00 AM
Subject: fuel pump misbehaviour
> 1. Is the gammy contact really the problem, or is there maybe something
> nastier lurking.

Almost certainly bu see 2.

> 2. Should the pump in a 79B be operating through some kind of direct
ground
> connection like this one appears to be?

Yes.  All pumps should have a ground connection.  It is quite possible for
it to be grounded without one, but only via several metal-to-metal fixings
(like the fuel pipe!) that weren't intended to provide an electrical path.

> 3. Electronic ignition? Can anyone out there give me a 101? Especially,
> could this be part of my mysterious crappy fuel economy and disabled
vacuum
> advance?

101?  Room 101 in George Orwell's 1984 was where people were confronted with
their worst nightmares.  Electronic ignition on its own is unlikely to be
giving poor economy unless you have serious mis-firing, more likely it is
due to poorly adusted carbs and/or timing, valves or some other cause.  It
is not unusual to disable vacuum advance with operformance distributors, and
the OE electronic ignition was like this.

PaulH.