Re: '65 motor and trany question

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: '65 motor and trany question
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 12:41:02 -0700
Yes, it fits. The transmission tunnel top cover would need to be modified
for the new shifter location if you go with the 4-synchro transmission.
British Automotive sells a replacement plastic cover piece for this
application.

But think, the tunnel may have already been modified for the Datsun
shifter. Frankly, I would walk away from this modified car unless the
owner and builder is a personal friend of yours and is going to be
available to hold your hand on these issues indefinitely. Unless you're
getting a super cheap price on the car, why buy one that you are already
planning to replace the engine and transmission? It would actually be
simpler and cheaper to buy an unmodified rolling chassis with no engine
or transmission, since it will doubtless be extra trouble undoing the
modifications.

Of course, if they're giving it away, it may be worth a little extra
trouble. But beware -- sometimes a "free" car can be a major time and
money trap.

Joe7670@aol.com had this to say:

--

Max Heim