Classic car smog inspection

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Classic car smog inspection
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 13:34:55 -0400
Someone on the list (I think) recently got his RB MGB to pass the new New
Jersey pollution inspection, and the emission results seemed to be extremely
low compared to the permissible threshold.  Which begs the question, what
causes our cars to pollute?  OK, OK, I know, it's when they are out of tune
that the problems crop up... but when the valves are adjusted properly, the
mixture is set perfectly, the point gap and plugs are as specified, and the
engine is warm, what else would cause NOx emissions, unburned hydrocarbons,
and soot?

Firstly, I presume bad rings, letting oil into the cylinder could do it, but
if you are burning oil, its about time for engine maintenance.

But rather, it seems to be a preponderance of FAULTY POLLUTION CONTROL
DEVICES that are most likely to be the culprit.  Rather ironic perhaps, but
I am finding that the existence of poppet valves in my carburetors are
making the setting of my idle to be a nuisance.  My gulp valve, which is
probably on its last legs seems to alter the mixture to a non-optimal level
while decelerating, and I suspect that the airpump tends to alter back
pressure in ways that I would not prefer.  Am I off base in suggesting that
perhaps after 10 or 15 years, a well carbureted engine works MORE cleanly if
these devices are removed?

BTW, NJ residents should take their MGs (or any other car for that matter)
to the Montclair inspection station.  When I brought my Pontiac there last
week, they only checked my brakes, wipers, turn signals, and horns.  And
nothing else.  No sniff test, no visual under the hood, not even the seat
belts.  The whole thing took five minutes.

Besides, there's a wine store in town that sells OSH.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite