Re: Shimmy

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shimmy
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 21:42:15 -0600
I think you are right on in your assessments. The bad shake sounds like its
most likely a bad tire or a tire is out of balance. I have had this problem
many times, particularly with Firestone tires (which I have stayed away
from for more than a decade).

First, balancing all the tires and possibly rotating them would be in
order. The tire shop should detect any problems. I usually check first to
see if a tire shop handles wire wheels. I even did this when I didn't have
wire wheels just to see if the place was competent. Wire wheel owners
should know what I mean.

The alignment on the MGB consists of the toe-in adjustment. Most shops can
do this although I recall one or two claiming my car was too small. Well,
if they say that, go elsewhere. The toe-in is fairly basic if they have the
equipment. The 4-wheel alignment is something with these modern cars. I
don't think there is such a thing on these older rear wheel drives. If your
front end alignment is off, you will get excess wear on the inside or
outside of your tires and possibly harder steering, but I don't believe it
normally causes a shimmy (IMHO).

If all else fails, you could also check for looseness in your front end -
kingpins, wheel bearing areas. But I think you will find the problem in the
tires.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT